Who can apply?
- you are doing your doctorate,
- you completed your Master's degree or Diplom, or in exceptional cases a Bachelor's degree, at the latest by the time the funding period begins, or
- you have already completed a PhD (postdoc).
What can be funded?
Duration of the funding
- Funding is provided for one month to a maximum of six months. Please indicate in your application how long you wish to receive funding. The funding period will then be determined during the selection process by a selection committee. The committee takes into account your work plan.
- The grant is non-renewable.
- Please note in your time planning that the funded stays should be completed by March 2024 at the latest.
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of euros 1,200.- for doctoral candidates and postdocs
euros 934.- if you are not yet taking a doctoral degree
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
- Green Mobility Top Up (Support for climate-friendly travel) or partial reimbursement of carbon offset payments for air travel
Central selection criteria are:
- a convincing and well-planned research or training project
- academic achievements
The selection committee also gives due consideration to equal opportunities; you can provide relevant information in the application form.
For more information on the selection procedure, go to Important Scholarship Information / Section E.
What requirements must be met?
- As a rule, applicants should not have graduated any longer than six years before the application deadline.
- If you have already started your doctorate, it also applies that the start of the doctorate should not be longer than 3 years ago.
- If you already hold a doctoral degree, you should not have completed your doctorate more than four years ago.
You cannot apply, if you have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline cannot be considered.
For applicants from the fields of human medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry, other regulations are applicable. Please refer to the leaflet "Additional information on DAAD Research Grants for applicants from medical fields" (www.daad.de/extrainfo).
- The required language level depends on the applicant's study plans and subject: In the arts, social sciences and in law, at least a good knowledge of German is usually expected. For the natural sciences and engineering, proof of good English language skills may also be accepted if English is spoken at the host institute.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of publications (max. 10 pages), if applicable
- Description of academic and personal reasons for your planned project in Germany (letter of motivation: 1-2 pages), taking account of the following question: What do you hope to gain from your project in Germany (personally, professionally, for your career)?
- A proposal, prepared and formulated by yourself, as well as a description of previous research work (max. 5 pages with max. 3.000 characters without spaces per page plus 2 pages of graphics if necessary). A proposal is an extensive and detailed description of the research project which has been discussed with the academic adviser. Please also read our Important Scholarship Information / section B, point 2.
- Schedule of planned research work
- Confirmation from the academic host in Germany; the confirmation must refer to your project and guarantee that the host institute in Germany will provide you with a workplace. Please also read our Important Scholarship Information / section C, point 3.
- University degree certificate indicating final grade(s): the certificate must be subsequently submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application.
- Other documents which support your application (example: certificates of employment, proof of practical training/internships, etc.)
- Proof of admission to a doctoral programme at the home university insofar as the applicant intends to take a doctoral degree there
- The list of publications, if applicable, should refer to the last 5 years only.
To be submitted by post:
One recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications (hand-signed, no digital or scanned signature). Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
March 1st, 2023, selection date in June 2023, start of the funding from September 2023
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal on time.
- For submitting references by post, the postmark date serves as proof that they have been dispatched on time.
- (If further documents are to be submitted by post, please send them as soon as possible.)
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. (CET or CEST) on the last application day. If possible, please do not send your application on the final date in case technical problems occur.
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Information and advisory centres
Servicio Alemán de Intercambio Académico
Calle Kepler 157, Col. Nueva Anzures, Del. Miguel Hidalgo
C.P. 11590 Mexico City
Tel.: +52 (55)/525018-83
Fax.: +52 (55)/525018-04
Dr. André Hammelmann
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Centro de Enseñanza de Lenguas Extranjeras (CELE)
Edificio "B", Cubículo 108
Circuito Interior s/n, Ciudad Universitaria, 04510 México D.F.
Tel: ++52 55-5622 0683 a 86 ext. 250 (horario de asesoría)
Asesoría: martes y jueves 16:00 a 17:30 Horas
Universidad de Guadalajara
Centro Universitario de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
-Departamento de Lenguas Modernas-
Calle Guanajuato, 1047
Col. Alcalde Barranquitas
44260 Guadalajara (Jalisco), México
Tel.: ++52 33 38 19 33 00, ext. 234 21
++52 33 38 19 33 64, ext. 234 21
More detailed information
- DAAD website "Important information for DAAD scholarship applicants"
- DAAD website section "Doing a PhD and Research in Germany"
- Website ”Research in Germany”
- Website ”GERiT – German Research Institutions”
General information on the application via DAAD portal
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask him/her to complete the form and to write a freely formulated reference (as described in the form). The reference must be returned to you in a sealed envelope, or alternatively it can be sent directly to the DAAD. Provide your referee with the application address (see tab “Application procedure” under “Application address”) so that he/she can send their reference directly to the DAAD.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
The reference is confidential and may not be viewed by the applicant!
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
References must be sent in the unopened envelope to the application location (see tab ‘Application procedure’).
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. 'Application documents for scholarship (contains no commercial goods, no merchandise or insurable value)'.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.